Monday, January 17, 2011

You're not Alone

“Decide to tell him,” said her heart.

“No,” retorted her brain.

“Just decide to tell him!”

“No, he’ll reject,”

“He would not!”

“Oh yes, he will,”

“How?”

“If the confession is not done in a proper way,”

“Is there a ‘proper’ way? It is a confession! The only thing is needed is sincerity…”

“And impact. He must understand and realize how true the confession is.”

“How is that possible?”

“There is a way…”

How she hated it when her two vital organs are in conflict and how she loved it when both co-operate….

*********
This was completely unfair. She said she’d come. She said it! And now, her stupid appointment came in the way and all plans are in dumps. He was furious. All the feelings he wanted to pour out to her are locked in his heart. There he was, sitting alone at reserved table in the café feeling like an idiot.

The easiest way to describe how much she meant to him was her being his diary. Only that, this diary would respond, comfort and hold on to him no matter what. And today… today was the day. Not just any day. It was supposed to be THE DAY. He pulled out his handphone and checked her SMS again.

“I’m so sorry. I couldn’t get that appointment date changed. Couldn’t make it today.”

Angrily, he stuffed the phone back into his pocket. He did not call back nor replied. He called moodily for his bill. Then the waiter came by, gave him his bill and a small package.

“I’m supposed to deliver this to this table, sir,” said the waiter and left.

He opened the package which revealed a box and in it was a pair of earphones and a weird shaped mp3 player. It was red, flat, oval with one half looking as if cracked into two which gave a look like a moon crescent with a face. Together, there was a card. That was the oddest statement he ever received. He stared back at the card.

“Let me make your day.”

By not showing up? He thought rudely as he looked at her handwriting.

Nevertheless, he walked to his car, fixed the earphones into his ear and played the first track and opened his door.

Astonishingly…

“Hey, good morning!” came a female voice. He froze at the act of opening the door. That’s her voice…

“Are you upset?” she asked. He sat inside and took out his keys. “You must be. I am really so sorry about this. I wanted so badly to meet you, today.”

He started his car engine, stony-faced.

“Change your expression. You look like a dummy whenever you sulk,”

“What??” he said out loud, laughing. How did she know?

“There! That is so much better when you laugh,” she continued. God, this girl knows in and out of me even without being here. He drove out of the car park and into the main road. “You drive carefully, okay. And when I say carefully, I mean carefully. No hero acts on the road,” she sounded stern. That brought back his lost smile.

His whole day went like that. She ‘spoke’ to him without actually being there. At the end of one track, she would have given him specific request on where to go and what to do next. He followed everything she said and quite forgot she wasn’t really there with him. Even his anger towards her had evaporated away.

At the end 5 hours and track 15, her last request was to go and sit a bench of their favorite spot by a lake. He sat there and played the next track.

“Close your eyes,” she said. He frowned. “Really, close your eyes and hear me carefully.”

He shut his eyes. All he could feel now is the cool evening breeze and her sweet voice.

“I need you to know that I regret being unable to spend time with you today,” she said.

He merely smiled.

“There will be times where I cannot meet expectations, but I will do what it takes to make up for it. I want to know that sometimes I am unable to avoid things that clashes with our meetings but I will not desert you just like that either. I hope today I have proved that despite all that had happened, I am still with you. My thoughts surround you.”

He couldn’t suppress the smile. Listening to her with eyes close made him feel she was there, talking to him. Why, he can even catch the fragrance of her perfume… Wait a minute! Her perfume fragrance….? He snapped his eyes open.

There she was, kneeling right before him, speaking! When did she came, how did she came, when she started to speak… he noticed none. He hadn’t realized the track had ended and she was explaining herself to him live. She grinned.

“You are unbelievable,” he said, completely flabbergasted.

“Surprise…” she said, shrugging. “I have something to tell you,”

“You have been talking all day me,” he said taking her hands. “It’s my turn. I have something to say.”

“Me first!”

“No, me!”

“Me!”

“Okay, fine… Go ahead.”

“I missed you.”

“I didn’t… I felt like I had you with me all day.”

They looked at each other in the eye a moment, and then…

“Marry me?” they asked, right at the same time. For a few seconds, they looked at each other thoroughly taken aback and then threw their heads back and laughed. He got up and pulled her to her feet.

“That was the best proposal ever. Without a ring, roses, chocolates, music…” she said.

“You made a history… A girl proposing. Honestly…” he replied.

“Why not? And you haven’t answered my proposal…” she said timidly, blushed and turned away.

“I have been planning to propose you. I accept yours. Do you accept mine?” he asked back.

“I was in dilemma. I was worried. I wanted to say how much I love you and wanted to be with you. But I was afraid you would reject me. So, I took the opportunity of my absence today.” she said. She took out an mp3 player, very similar to the one he had in his hands. She put her mp3 player close to his. She joined both their mp3 players to reveal a heart-shaped mp3 player. He was astounded to see that he was holding half of a heart-shaped mp3 player. No wonder, the shape was weird…

“So, everything happened today…?”

“Was pre-planned yesterday,” she said sheepishly. “I did all this to show that I truly love and care for you.”

He squeezed her hand. He felt so loved at that moment.

“And you are not alone,”

No comments:

Post a Comment